Skip to main content

A bright and shining morning in America

Last night at dinner I did something I almost never do: I listened to the news while eating. I should have known better, but sometimes there is good news and in addition, we'd heard through the 'grapevine' that something had happened.

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick on Tucker Carlson, March 23, 2020. Fox News

The result: I was put off my dinner. I'm still suffering from indigestion this morning. One more time our government is putting an economic value on life. My sensibilities are spinning. The party that proclaims itself as being 'pro-life', the party that announced it would oppose ObamaCare because there would be government 'death panels' in charge of the end of life, was saying it was more important to get back to work by Easter, less than three weeks away, despite the experiences of Italy and China, despite what their medical experts are saying.

Hobby Lobby and Liberty University, bastions of pro-life sentiment, are open despite the certainty that people will die due to their actions. Let it sink in that the owner of Hobby Lobby, David Green, was widely lauded for opposing a provision of ObamaCare, that businesses must provide employees contraceptive coverage, because he said it was against his religious beliefs to allow even one life to be lost.

Now, as discussed in the Above the Law blog (and also here), Hobby Lobby is remaining open. I love the part where this billionaire hypocrite warns there will be belt-tightening ahead. I don't see anything about caring for the people in need. Profit seems to trump (pun intended) core religious beliefs.

Also needlessly putting people's lives at risk: Liberty University. The rationale is in part that some students may not have homes to return too, that only a limited number of students are going to be allowed on campus, and that this disease is not as threatening to young people.

Consideration of the risk of contagion to people at a higher risk is apparently not considered Christian at Liberty University.

Another pro-lifer not too worried about some life is Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick. 
Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, who’s as pro-life as they come, says he’s ready to give up a life — his own — if it means better post-coronavirus lives for his six grandchildren. And, by extension, he says he’s ready for give up other lives — yours? — for the same cause.-- Ken Herman. Austin-American Statesman. March 24, 2020
And, finally, we have the man playing the American President on television with his own take.

This is either a core belief, that life is of great value as a gift from God, or you are a hypocrite. Take your pick.



Popular posts from this blog

Lecture to 7th Grade on the Great Depression

Good morning scholars. Thank you to the students who were able to attend the in-class session. Here is a summary of the lecture: We are currently experiencing an economic downturn. Within our lives we've seen another contraction in 2007-2008, with earlier contractions in 1988 and of course during the period we are currently studying: The Great Depression. Classical economics calls this the contraction side of a Kuznets cycle. However, classical economics says these cycles are caused by variations in the supply TRENDS of labor and other resources; variations in productivity TRENDS relating to efficiency with which those supplies are used; and variations in the average intensity with which resources get used-- in other words variations in rates of unemployment. (Economics, Samuelson, McGraw-Hill, 1967. P. 244) The Samuelson text goes on to say that fiscal policy can provide relief for these conditions. As you progress in your education you'll hear this called Keynesian Econ...
Home fix-it projects are the rage among people these days. For me, getting my things out of storage after several years it has meant returning things to a condition to enjoy. A case in point is my teak table. Five or six years ago it was a central piece of furniture in my home. I'd invite friends to come over for dinner or just an evening in my garden. I had a fire pit, a green and inviting space and, under a trellis, the teak table. Maybe it was overdone. Maybe it was part of the ambiance of the space, but I put up miniature lights, candles, tiki torches (it was in the Midwest and there are those darn mosquitos). The grill would be going. A homemade sangria would be available. There were comfortable chairs for everyone. Each winter the teak table would be put away. And each spring it would be returned to the garden. Moving the teak table was a two-person job. But five years ago, maybe six years ago, I tried to do it alone. My partner at the time had become distant. Shortly...

Tough Love

This morning I wrote an angry letter to parents. What led up to this was students not passing open-book quizzes, and in fact answering questions with "IDK". IDK stands for I don't know. How the hell can a student get to the 8th grade and try to pass a quiz with IDK as an answer. Who the hell have they gone to school with? What these students try to do is retake the SAME quiz, asking one student to help them with the answers. Also, getting under my skin is the request of some of these students to get help raising their grade. Their grade, currently, is composed of readings and worksheets on the readings. That is about a third of their grade. And, it is marked as a binary: either you did it or not. The remainder of the work is the weekly quiz. One student asked why they didn't get points for a short answer on the quiz given that week. I've since decided that the tsunami of work that is being submitted, does not allow me to read and evaluate even short answer...