Last week I discussed the idea of routine and also the idea of some physical exercise. I'm going to be 63 shortly. My style of physical exercise is different than that of a pre-teen. Cardio is important to me, but so is strength and resistance training and finally stretching.
This morning, after dealing with my manly needs I put out the trash and started walking. The sun was low on the horizon as I walked into the eastern horizon. The temperature was about 30 F or -1 C.
The distance to the Broomfield baseball diamonds is about a half-mile or so, with another quarter mile to reach Route 287, known as 120th around here. Then a turn to the west to get the coffee.
The strip mall near Main Street and Route 287 has an Arc (new hours), an Asian seafood market and more types of Oriental food than I can count. Maybe six? That's good to know. Someday this will come to an end and we'll resume lives somewhat like that we left behind.
There's a game store catty-corner from the Asian market: Total Escape. I'm a huge gamer.
This morning, after dealing with my manly needs I put out the trash and started walking. The sun was low on the horizon as I walked into the eastern horizon. The temperature was about 30 F or -1 C.
The distance to the Broomfield baseball diamonds is about a half-mile or so, with another quarter mile to reach Route 287, known as 120th around here. Then a turn to the west to get the coffee.
The strip mall near Main Street and Route 287 has an Arc (new hours), an Asian seafood market and more types of Oriental food than I can count. Maybe six? That's good to know. Someday this will come to an end and we'll resume lives somewhat like that we left behind.
There's a game store catty-corner from the Asian market: Total Escape. I'm a huge gamer.
![]() |
| Some of the games in my game library. |
I've played at Total Escape. I once managed a game store and my daughter has also managed a game store. We can discuss games more later...
My point is that all of these small businesses: the family restaurants serving Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean food, the game store, the "escape room" and all the rest are in severe financial trouble. Many of these businesses will not be there in a year.
The guy or gal who delivered my newspaper this morning: not an employee. If they get sick no one will step up to help them.
And the same goes for hundreds of people and businesses. They are being forgotten in this mess. We are looking at our pain and forgetting the pain of people who are outside the system of 9-5 jobs with benefits.
The Lutheran Church at the end of my street posted a sign: "This too will pass." I feel for the churches too. Although the base of their financial operations is provided by the member's regular subscriptions, they require the financial support that appears every Sunday in the form of cash.
Go out for a walk. Start a group to walk with. (I'm sure you can keep your physical distance if needed). As you walk, listen to the birds, the road noise from the nearby highway, the train horn. Feel the sun on your skin.
As you walk through the strip malls, as you see those newspapers on the driveway, as you pass the church you're unlikely to enter, think about the societal costs we will pay.
It was hell on earth.
You couldn't dream it.
This burning horror- my mother's in that.
How could God be in the horror of what I saw?
What kind of God is this?
How can you believe in such a God?
It's nothing to do with God.
He's gone.
This emptiness.
I saw evil all in that building.
This is what evil looks like.
Being trapped in that building, was there any God with them?
There is no answer. There is only anger. A lot of anger.
Religion drove those planes into those buildings.
If people can kill for God in this way, this is the best reason never to believe in God!
It looked like a giant syringe had sucked out this wonderful, amazing hope that we had in this country, was sucked out at Ground Zero. --
Faith and Doubt at Ground Zero.

Comments
Post a Comment