The challenges of home schooling are apparent to me. I didn't home school my daughter and hope the parents reading this are open to the experience. This could be the way of our school for the next few months as I note that today California and Kansas have canceled the school year.
Yesterday was the first try at this method of teaching. What I saw first was parents were either lax (and that's the way I'd approach it) or firm. Maybe we should try a middle path? To the students, the common Google Meeting space has to have social rules for it to work. Because of that, we won't generally use this space for socializing during the school day. If you want to socialize, and I encourage you to socialize, do it in another space. I'm sure you, or a friend, has the technical savvy to create a space for socializing.
This will allow the Meetup space to be used by students who have questions. It will also offer parents a way to monitor what you are doing online. It should be a win/win/win.
Routine is important to us as humans, as it is for your pets. Mrs. Nguyen has shared a proposed daily schedule for your use. It includes time to socialize, but also set periods and goals for your day. Watching neighbors who have home schooled, I've noted that the children are often playing. So let's accept that there has been a success with combining work and play.
I think it is important to combine the two.
Personally I'm working on some fun ideas for school. Perhaps some games or some virtual tours of historic sites. Remember, "walk this way, walk this way... now we're looking, we're looking and we're walking..." :)
Yesterday was the first try at this method of teaching. What I saw first was parents were either lax (and that's the way I'd approach it) or firm. Maybe we should try a middle path? To the students, the common Google Meeting space has to have social rules for it to work. Because of that, we won't generally use this space for socializing during the school day. If you want to socialize, and I encourage you to socialize, do it in another space. I'm sure you, or a friend, has the technical savvy to create a space for socializing.
This will allow the Meetup space to be used by students who have questions. It will also offer parents a way to monitor what you are doing online. It should be a win/win/win.
Routine is important to us as humans, as it is for your pets. Mrs. Nguyen has shared a proposed daily schedule for your use. It includes time to socialize, but also set periods and goals for your day. Watching neighbors who have home schooled, I've noted that the children are often playing. So let's accept that there has been a success with combining work and play.
I think it is important to combine the two.
Personally I'm working on some fun ideas for school. Perhaps some games or some virtual tours of historic sites. Remember, "walk this way, walk this way... now we're looking, we're looking and we're walking..." :)
Comments
Post a Comment