It will be weeks before the stimulus checks go out. And, really, they are not meant to keep small businesses going. They are meant to help people pay their rent. As I wrote in a previous post, take a walk through your neighborhood, its shuttered shops and empty sidewalks are a sign of worse to come.
Yesterday I learned I'd lost my first student. She was withdrawn from the school. I suppose the parent decided that since they were doing most of the work in educating her there was no reason to pay the school for those services too.
Here at Castle Boylan my hair continues to grow. I should be going into the barber for a trim. But under the circumstances that's not happening. I'd love to call some friends to come over for a game night, but-- not going to happen. Restaurants are out. Worship is out. Walking is okay, as long as the group is small. No tennis, no exercise clubs. People are going to places like Walmart simply to walk around the aisles and look at things.
You'd think that with the run on things like chicken and beef that the farmers would be rolling in the dough. Wrong. The retail prices of beef, for example, are increasing. But the sale of dry cattle at market is showing price decreases. The money isn't going into the hands of the men and women working in slaughterhouses. I'm sure their conditions continue to be abominable. The farmers aren't seeing it. Where is the price increase going?
Cruise ships, the pigs of the sea, and that is an insult to pigs, are asking for financial help. The same corporations who off-shored their ships to avoid domestic taxes and regulation, now need help.
I can understand the airlines need for help. There is a defense aspect to having a large fleet of commercial aircraft and the ease of travel in a large country like the US, makes airlines extremely useful.
There is more to come. We will not be open by Easter. That is a nightmare and delusional.
More people yet (there were three million NEW unemployment applications in the most recent report) will be put out of work. Some will suffer illness and die. Some will commit suicide. After this subsides (it will never be over) we'll find many businesses shuttered forever, making it difficult for people to find employment. Our local governments will see ongoing financial issues for years to come. Due to a denial of reality our health system will permanently lose trained professionals: they are going to die. As a result our health costs will increase. Those on fixed incomes will see an erosion in their benefits. The health care our elders enjoyed just last year is already a thing of the past.
And although I'm also thinking that there are some remarkable investment opportunities caused by this...
When I was young I didn't care for Sir Elton John. As I've aged I've come to appreciate and love his music. For your Friday music: Tiny Dancer. Elton John celebrated his 73rd birthday this week.
Yesterday I learned I'd lost my first student. She was withdrawn from the school. I suppose the parent decided that since they were doing most of the work in educating her there was no reason to pay the school for those services too.
Here at Castle Boylan my hair continues to grow. I should be going into the barber for a trim. But under the circumstances that's not happening. I'd love to call some friends to come over for a game night, but-- not going to happen. Restaurants are out. Worship is out. Walking is okay, as long as the group is small. No tennis, no exercise clubs. People are going to places like Walmart simply to walk around the aisles and look at things.
You'd think that with the run on things like chicken and beef that the farmers would be rolling in the dough. Wrong. The retail prices of beef, for example, are increasing. But the sale of dry cattle at market is showing price decreases. The money isn't going into the hands of the men and women working in slaughterhouses. I'm sure their conditions continue to be abominable. The farmers aren't seeing it. Where is the price increase going?
Cruise ships, the pigs of the sea, and that is an insult to pigs, are asking for financial help. The same corporations who off-shored their ships to avoid domestic taxes and regulation, now need help.
I can understand the airlines need for help. There is a defense aspect to having a large fleet of commercial aircraft and the ease of travel in a large country like the US, makes airlines extremely useful.
There is more to come. We will not be open by Easter. That is a nightmare and delusional.
More people yet (there were three million NEW unemployment applications in the most recent report) will be put out of work. Some will suffer illness and die. Some will commit suicide. After this subsides (it will never be over) we'll find many businesses shuttered forever, making it difficult for people to find employment. Our local governments will see ongoing financial issues for years to come. Due to a denial of reality our health system will permanently lose trained professionals: they are going to die. As a result our health costs will increase. Those on fixed incomes will see an erosion in their benefits. The health care our elders enjoyed just last year is already a thing of the past.
And although I'm also thinking that there are some remarkable investment opportunities caused by this...
When I was young I didn't care for Sir Elton John. As I've aged I've come to appreciate and love his music. For your Friday music: Tiny Dancer. Elton John celebrated his 73rd birthday this week.

Comments
Post a Comment